Wednesday, April 27, 2005

I'm already ranting

My second day with a blog, and I'm already ranting about something.

I am frustrated with a LYS in my area (which shall remain nameless because I believe they do blog). Last week, I went to said LYS for their knit group. For one, I was being pretty brave. I am not an outgoing person, so the idea of going to a shop full of complete strangers was daunting. I was hoping maybe there would be 2-3 different groups of people, so I could blend in more easily. It was not to be. When I showed up, it was a small group of women that had been knitting together for a few months. They seemed nice enough, so I introduced myself and sat down to start knitting.

I had brought the back of the sweater that I was just starting on. A couple of the ladies were trying to figure out what kind of yarn I was using. "Rowan Summer Tweed?" When I told them that it was Wool Ease, they nearly dropped their needles, and I was met with a wall of silence. I was honestly shocked at the intensity of their reaction. Through the next two hours I was asked why I was using straight needles instead of circulars, and told how using two circs for socks was SO MUCH BETTER than using dpn's.

This hits on a few pet peeves of mine:

- I hate feeling ashamed of the type of yarn I am using
- I like doing things how I like doing things, and don't like to be told that what I am doing is somehow wrong

Now, I'm not trying to come off as being overly stubborn. And I do realize that I have just begun on my journey as a knitter. But I really do like knitting with my straight needles whenever I have a chance. And I have used dpn's and have no problems with them whatsoever. I do intend to give the Magic Loop the ol' college try, just to see what it's like to use. I love trying new things. It just makes me mad when people tell me that THEIR way is the RIGHT way. It automatically makes me shut down emotionally, and tune out whatever else that person has to say. Ok, maybe that part is kinda stubborn....

Needless to say, I no longer feel comfortable going to that LYS, so they will not get any more of my business. Which is a shame - they are so close to my house. But there is another a few miles away that has a much better selection, so I am not totally TSOL.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest...

I just went to my parent's house this past weekend to go through mom's knitting stash and needles. She no longer knits - probably hasn't picked up the needles since the mid to late 70's. She didn't have much yarn left to speak of, but I think it is safe to say I will never have to buy a pair of needles again. I now have everything from US 1 to US 35. I have no bloody idea what I will use those 35's for, but I'm sure something will come up. It always does. I also inherited her copy of the Reader's Digest Guide to Needlework, which has got to be one of the best instructional books ever. I read this thing from cover to cover when I was a kid, so I am thrilled to have it again.

When I have time in front of my computer at home, I will post pictures this weekend. I promise.