Thursday, May 12, 2005

I've been knitting wrong

Forgive the lack of pics, I am blogging from work...

You read that right - I've been knitting wrong. Now, before you say that knitting is an art form, and there is no "right" or "wrong" per se, hear me out. My knit stitch is fine. Apparently, it's my purl stitch that I have been doing bass ackwards. I'm a thrower (as opposed to a picker), so when I do my purl stitches, I always throw the yarn clockwise. On my most recent projects where I have been doing lots of stockinette, I've noticed that my stitches looked a bit twisted. Could not for the life of me figure out why. Then I pulled out my Knitter's Handbook (something every knitter should keep in their bag), and discovered that I should be throwing counterclockwise instead. Quelle horror! So, now it's like I'm having to re-learn how to purl all over again. Argh - what a pain. But my stockinette is looking rather stunning now!

I have been a good girl, and have forsaken all other objects save the baby blanket that really should be done by the end of this month. But I made a drastic change - I decided to change the yarn that I was using. I determined that, although Wool-Ease is easy to take care of, that it really wouldn't be all that nice against a baby's skin. So, I ordered 8 skeins of Koigu in a beautiful bluish colorway (pics later, I promise), and am almost a quarter of the way through the blanket. My husband even approves - he always looked askance at the other blanket I had been working on. So I am feeling really good about the change.

A couple of weeks ago, Terri and I took Colleen on her first yarn store expedition. We went to Yarn Lady, which is a huge store and has all sorts of yummy yarns to look at. Overwhelmed doesn't begin to describe Colleen's reaction to the place :) But a great time was had by all. I also purchased some yarn for other projects that I had in mind. I got 6 skeins of the Classic Elite 100% Inca Alpaca for the Very Harlot Poncho. I got some sock yarn. And I got 6 balls of Noro Silk Garden for....something. I was thinking about making a Clapotis, but I'm not a wrap kinda gal. I could always do another Harlot poncho. Or maybe a cardigan? I just can't decide. I'll have to think on that one a bit more.

After I'm done with the blanket, I need to get going again on my hooded sweatshirt thingie. I've finished the back, and just started on one of the front sides. The bummer about that is that I will have to continue knitting in that twisted stockinette style, just so it will be consistent. Hmmm - not looking forward to it.