Saturday, December 16, 2006

Bringing it up to speed

Here are some projects that I have been working on the past several months:



I'm very happy with how it turned out! I'm going to make one for my mom, in Shine Worsted (she's not fond of wool, and gets overheated easily).

Pattern: The Very Harlot Poncho
Yarn: Classic Elite Inca Alpaca (100% alpaca, 109 yards), 5 balls (can't remember the color names), including fringe

A plethora of scarves:



Okay, so it's just two. The one on the right was felted, and ended up with this wonderful velvety texture. It's finally starting to get cold enough to wear these.

From left:

Lace Leaf Scarf
Pattern: Scarf Style
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran (55% Merino, 33% Microfiber, 12% Cashmere, 98 yards), 4 balls
Color: Celery

Vintage Velvet Scarf
Pattern: Scarf Style
Yarn: Muench Touch Me (72% Viscose, 28% Wool, 61 yards), 5 balls
Color: Bold Red



This pic cracks me up. It looks like I'm about to blast a cap in yo ass.

I love this sweater. However, I overestimated my size - I think I gave myself about 10 inches of ease. This is because I was paranoid about the sweater being too tight, so I not only knit the largest size, but I went up to a #9 needle. Silly girl. This sweater was so fun to knit, I will likely make another, but in a more appropriate size. I totally dig the knotwork on the sleeves and the hood. Please ignore how dirty the mirror is :)

Pattern: Rogue
Yarn: Rowan Magpie (100% Merino Wool, 215 yards), 9 balls in some dark blue color
And lastly, a new project - another scarf:



Straight on, it looks like stripes. But at an angle, aliens! I have 5 more alien heads to go.

Pattern: Alien Illusion Scarf from Stitch N Bitch
Yarn: I ball of Lamb's Pride Worsted (85% wool, 15% mohair) in Limeade, and 1 ball Patons Classic Wool in Coal

Another note on Rogue - I've been thinking about doing something a bit drastic with this sweater, since I am swimming in it. Felting. It would shrink the sweater to an appropriate size, and I think the knotwork would look cool. Besides, I noticed the other day that the knots by the hem are already starting to felt a bit. I'm scared to do it because I don't want to ruin this nice sweater I made. Or, maybe I could just unravel the whole thing and start over. Then I would have some Magpie left over to make something else. Maybe a hat for the husband?

I'm also working on something else that I cannot find pictures for online - the basketweave v-neck sweater from Loop-d-Loop. Is it possible that nobody out there has attempted this sweater? I didn't find one blog of anybody who has even frogged the thing in frustration. The knitting of this so far has been downright brainless - no shaping, just decreases for the arms and the neck. The bigger check pattern is on the body, and a smaller check on the sleeves. I am working on the back, and am about an inch from the arm decreases. I'm hoping for a boxy, sweatshirt-like sweater so I can lounge about comfortably. I'll post a pic when I have something that has more of a shape. Oh, and I am using Debbie Bliss Merino Chunky in a charcoal color.

I almost forgot - I have yet another project waiting in the wings. This scarf. Does this not crack you up? I got enough yarn for the 13 1/2 foot model, but my husband talked me into making the shorter one for him, and maybe a second one for myself.

This weekend should be pretty uneventful. We have an open house today, and nothing planned for tomorrow. I am counting the days until next Friday, when our holiday shutdown begins. Paid company holiday for 12 days? I'll take that. Yet another reason why it's good that we are still here - I can take advantage of the last of he decent perks that the company offers.